There are many different paths to work in the UK as foreign national. In some cases you may not even need a visa to work in the UK — if you are from a country in the EU or have UK ancestry. Today’s blog will focus on one particular work visa category – High Value Migrants.
High Value Migrants
The High Value Migrant category is a visa category for UK settlement, also known as permanent residency. It is for individuals who possess a skill or wish to make a monetary investment in the UK. Eligibility in this category is through a points-based system, meaning your eligibility is determined through a number of factors each delivering you a certain value of points and your total must be high enough for you to be awarded a visa. The High Value Migrant category is broken into four sections:
- Tier 1 (Exceptional talent): For people with exceptional talent in science or the arts.
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur): For people who want to start or become involved in a UK business.
- Tier 1 (Investor): For people who want to invest in the UK.
- Tier 1 (General): For highly skilled workers. This category, however, is now closed.
- Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur): For people who want to work in the UK after completing graduate studies in the UK.
Do I need a visa?
You do not need a visa if:
- You are an EEA national;
- You are a British overseas citizen;
- You are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay; or
- There are no conditions on your stay.