Monthly Archives: May 2013

How to Work in the UK

There are many different paths to work in the UK as foreign national. In some cases you may not even need a visa to work in the UK — if you are from a country in the EU or have UK ancestry. Today’s blog will focus on one particular work visa category – High Value Migrants.

High Value Migrants

The High Value Migrant category is a visa category for UK settlement, also known as permanent residency. It is for individuals who possess a skill or wish to make a monetary investment in the UK. Eligibility in this category is through a points-based system, meaning your eligibility is determined through a number of factors each delivering you a certain value of points and your total must be high enough for you to be awarded a visa. The High Value Migrant category is broken into four sections:

  • Tier 1 (Exceptional talent): For people with exceptional talent in science or the arts.
  • Tier 1 (Entrepreneur): For people who want to start or become involved in a UK business.
  • Tier 1 (Investor): For people who want to invest in the UK.
  • Tier 1 (General): For highly skilled workers. This category, however, is now closed.
  • Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur): For people who want to work in the UK after completing graduate studies in the UK.

Do I need a visa?

You do not need a visa if:

  • You are an EEA national;
  • You are a British overseas citizen;
  • You are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay; or
  • There are no conditions on your stay.